Friday, September 3, 2010

It's felt like forever since I've written in this blog. I don't feel bad, because I know that sometime in the future, I will write here again. A TON has happened since the last post. In vague order of importance:
I've moved to Austin to try to become a teacher after graduating from Cornell (4 glorious years).
I'm about to start a term of service with the AmeriCorps program, Communities in Schools.
I'm dating Ms. Julia Woodward, a pillar and a bright light in my life.
I'm slowly but surely meeting new, cool people in Austin.
I've stayed in touch with a good number of friends, like the apartment gang, Ben, Alix, Terry,
Flo, Sheila, Tiffany, Andrew, Kelly. Snail mail has been a huge source of happiness.
I think I should talk about the present, because the present is really like the culmination, the peak of all the past added up. You should always be working towards the future, which is just an infinite set of the present, and the present is generally what matters most. The past is also important because you look back on it all the time, and it is important that you are somewhat content, and that you always remember the people you've lost touch with, for various reasons.
So my present state of being is very good. It's funny, this morning I was woken up by my phone ringing: some unavailable number. It was someone at Travis High School, asking if I wanted to set up an interview for the special ed TA position that I applied for a couple weeks ago. I admit I was a little dazed, but I blurted out, "No thanks, I'm working for the AmeriCorps now." After that phone call, I layed there in my bed and thought for a while: did I just fuck things up? Did I let go a golden opportunity? I always have a lot of confidence when it comes to interviewing, because I'm a big dreamer and I have a good interview track record for getting the job. Eventually, I realized that I did not make the wrong choice. Yes, all of the TTF fellows who were in a TA position transitioned to full time teaching positions last year. Yes, I would be working full time in the Austin I.S.D. and making significantly more money. But also: yes, I would have to break an AmeriCorps contract that I had just signed. Yes, I am not totally sold on being a teacher. Yes, I want to be one for a little bit, but yes, I will go back to school and pursue something different. This is because I believe that I am more of a 'thinker' than a 'classroom manager.' I love to see kids succeed and make things that they are proud of, and that's the main reason I want to be in a classroom. Next year, I think it'll once again be a decision of whether to try to be a teacher or going to serve in the Peace Corps. The good thing is that I will have been in an Austin I.S.D. school for most of an entire school year, and I will be a year older and wiser. Besides all this professional stuff, I'm slowly being integrated into my roommate Dave's group of friends. I still don't feel totally free to express myself (I am limiting myself somehow, but I don't feel in control), but at least I'm meeting new people and talking and sharing with them. That's where I'm going right now! It's Bintil's last night, so we're having a little going away party with games, food, drink and music. I also just want to say that I adore my girlfriend Julia, and I can't wait to see her at the end of this month in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment