Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chicken and the Egg

About rock climbing. Today, I FINALLY got a hard problem. It was only worth 80 pts, but I'm proud of being able to do that. I also conquered two medium problems that I sometimes have problems with. My final accomplishment today was throwing down like 4 moves on a crack. I guess I was tired from yesterday though, because when Kamil and I were top-roping, I really could not reach up and get those holds. I ended up scratching my left hand up and not really doing the route.

Pros for climbing: it's a discipline. it takes patience. you need tolerance for pain. you can translate it outside. you can hang from cracks. you can have specific goals, like boulder problems and routes. outdoorsy people are usually really cool and laid back.

Negatives for climbing: it can be really frustrating when you repeatedly try a problem, and each time you get further and further away from your goal. height and flexibility are a problem for me. i hate sliding off a hold because it's greasy-- absolutely annoying. feet death-- laura.

So dad really did write that poem!! I like it a lot. I decided today that some day, dad and I will travel around the world together, via sailing, biking, hiking, whatever it takes. I think that would be the tops. I think dad deserves a partner; I don't want him to do it alone. I want in on those memories. It won't be next year or the one after that because I need to make some money, but within the next 10 years for sure. before he gets to 60. maybe in 6 years.

I felt a bit inadequate at our C.H.I. MacCormick meeting today, like I had nothing to contribute. What we decided: drop math from our tutoring (we would need to meet more often with the kids for math to be time-effective), hopefully buy a book that we can all read and discuss together, talk to Bev to see if we can get a group of kids from Charlie or Delta units to come Every time. this week (I won't be there), we're planning on playing them a rap song and asking them to write down a story explaining what the rap song is about. I think Carlo picked something by Fabolous.

lastly, I was feeling really down this morning. facebook makes it more tough, because things on the newsfeed come up that really aren't good for the psyche-- but in reality it's just people talking to each other. i guess i just don't like the transparency. sleeping helps.

i saw something kind of interesting in the Sun this morning: did language shape the brain or did the shape of the brain dictate the formation of language? it would be really cool to study the physical contours of the brain.


No comments:

Post a Comment